Sunday, November 3, 2013

Unit Plan Canvas

            Creating a PLAYground canvas was not as hard as I initially thought it would be. Like anything, the website was confusing when I started creating my canvas, but then I found it to be easy. It was easy because when I placed my mouse over the widgets everything was labeled, which made it simpler. I liked how each widget had its own purpose; it made the canvas easier to set up. After completing my canvas, I saw the purpose in using this website as an introduction to a unit plan.
            My canvas focuses on a unit plan on probability for 7th grade. This unit will teach students what probability is, how to solve for probability of a given event, and probability of compound events. In addition, students will learn how to use visual representations to represent and relate probability to the real world. The first image gallery shows mathematical and visual representations of theoretical and experimental probabilities that students will learn and apply throughout the unit. The second image gallery shows real life applications that probability could be applied for to predict the chances of an event occurring. The videos represent what probability is and how different probabilities are applied to different events. Finally, the students are given the opportunity to explore additional resources that contain probability in the news, further explanations of the content learned, interactive websites to explore, and a further explanation on why probability is important.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that having a labeled widget made setting up the Canvas so much easier. I imagine how hard teaching math must be, so tools like this definitely make it easier. I really like your galleries and how they pertain to math, and how you made math so relevant to our lives today. Probability is very important, and it is crucial students understand that, so good job conveying that!

    ReplyDelete