Saturday, November 23, 2013

YouTube for Teaching and Learning Math

            YouTube is a great website for educational purposes. YouTube is great because there are tons of videos for tutoring purposes, teaching, or fun learning videos. There are many videos uploaded by many users that could help a student learn any math topic and how to apply it for problem solving. The great thing about this is that not every student learns the same, so if the student does not understand the way one user is explaining it the student may simply look up another video.
Teachers today could make up their own videos for students. There will always be those days when a student is out for health reasons that may take up to one or more days. It is difficult for a student to come back and catch up especially if something new was taught and the teacher cannot simply reteach the lesson when the student returns. Even if the teacher does a short 5-10 minute video on the lesson, it is much better than the student having nothing to refer to for help. The other great thing about doing this is the video could also help students that do not take great notes to refer to as well and the video could stay up and help other students from other schools.
There are also fun learning videos that may help students learn in different ways. There are videos that have songs and short stories on different topics for math, such as the Pythagorean Theorem, the distance formula, and many more. There are unlimited amounts of videos that may help students learn and remember through creative videos. Students could also be asked to make their own video as a project to apply what they have learned. I believe a great way to ensure students are learning is to have the students explain or apply what they have learned through numerous ways and making a video allows students to apply this skill. Overall, whether to teacher uses the videos to teach or the students use the videos to refer to for help it is a great technology for teaching, learning, and applying math.

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using YouTube in the classroom! You provide several different ways; I particularly like how you said it will help those students who are absent. I wish my teachers would provide me with their original videos to guide me when I was absent. Looking back now, I do not think that any of my teachers ever used YouTube, which I questions because YouTube was extremely popular when I was in high school.
    YouTube can be used in any content area. As an English educator, YouTube consists of so many different videos that are educational; students do not even notice that they are learning! In my classroom, I could have my students listen to a poem being read to determine tone, rhyme schemes, and so much more! Also, there are so many step- by-step videos, which is absolutely wonderful because the students are walked through not only verbally, but visually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I constantly feel that the whole education program is many times not utilizing the potential of how students can learn. There is no reason so many teachers need to be giving lessons on the samething if students can find the same information from a website like youtube. Online education should be used a lot more so that when students are in school they can do things that are more creative and collaborative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second blog post I've read about YouTube today! I can say that I have used YouTube to assist myself in understanding mathematical concepts, and have also used it to help tutor my sister in math. It's incredibly useful for teachers in the sense that you can record and post your lessons on the internet for students to access. It's great for at-home use (which you touch upon when suggesting that YouTube is a practical application for students who had missed lessons), and is awesome for re-learning a concept you may have forgotten about or for studying for a unit test. It's really great to see other educators understanding and utilizing the potential that the internet has for education- especially YouTube. I feel like so many people view YouTube as a medium for music and funny videos, and far too many overlook the simplicity and practicality of a video sharing website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,

    YouTube is definitely an educational tool that I think all of us teachers need to use because students all know what it is and most students really enjoy using it. I really like how you mentioned all of the practical uses of it. I think that I may create short videos on a week's lesson that my students can review. This will be a great way for students who want extra help to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with you that Youtube is a great resource that teachers should use. You can find all kinds of videos on all different topics, and it is free. I don't see a reason why teachers don't use it in a classroom.I really like your idea how teacher can create a short video on the lesson for absent students. It benefits the students, and teachers may use that video on the next lesson as a summary of the last lesson. Students may also refer back to the video if they need additional clarifications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer,
    I have recently posted about YouTube as well but in the social studies classroom. I have seen many people post about YouTube and that just shows how this tool can be used across all content areas. I think that it is convenient for both teachers and students to use. Teachers can have easy access in the classroom and students can have access at home with the internet. I think it is really important that you addressed teachers creating their own videos. As a college student, many of my professors have taken this strategy and used it successfully. I think in a high school or middle school setting this can be really helpful for students. I think that it is important that they have a resource if they are not able to attend class but also as a studying guide. As a social studies teacher, a lot of factual information can be overwhelming for students and I think that if students have that video resource to go to at home they can make it a useful study guide. I think many people associate YouTube as a distraction for students but if used correctly I think they can make it a useful tool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think using YouTube in the math classroom is a great idea! I have seen it be used so many times in history, science, English, and more, yet it seems to rarely be used in math. There are plenty of short videos that can be used. Showing a short video gives the students a chance to hear and see the explanation in someone else's words. It also provides visuals. It is also an easy way to include technology.

    ReplyDelete